Welcome!

On this website, you can find my travel log of our experimental trekking in the Inner Dolpo and Dhaulagiri region in Nepal. In fall 2009, we discovered this area with a small group of fellow travellers, guided by Himalaya Trekking. We wanted to cross the rarely visited Mu La and to traverse towards the Hidden Valley. Read here if this all worked out!

Part 9 - Who stops the rain?

It is raining all night long. When we get up, it is still raining and thick clouds are surrounding us. It is our day off  and there is nothing we can do but sit and wait. After a few hours, we are sick and tired from it. Say goodbye to an idyllic day reading a book and doing your laundry. Say hello to the cold that is coming from the wet ground. Say hello to digging trenches to keep the water out of the tent.
Luckily, we are standing on a high platform. Yesterday there was not enough room for all our tents on a lower plateau, so Rick and I decided to isolate ourselves and to pitch our tent on a higher level. Well, this decision was a good decision: we are not the lowest point (others are). If it's still raining tomorrow, we will stay here for another day. That sucks, because you are spending your days doing nothing. What a waste. The only thing we do is laying in our sleepingbags, eating peanuts and reading books. I finished my book and the IPod is dead. God bless my uribag. The weird thing is that this area is desertlike. But now it is raining and raining....

When we get up, it is still raining. It is raining nonstop for more then 30 hours already. All our stuff is getting wet because of all the moist. When I open my tent, I see snow. During the day, the snow is transforming into wet snow and rain. All around us, we hear the horrible sound of landslides. I am praying for good weather. I even use the prayer beads I bought at Dhorpatan from the Tibetan ladies...........

The third day. I open the tent and see: blue sky!!!!!!!!! Yihaaaaa!!!What a difference with the previous days!! Within a few minutes, the tent starts to dry and we have breafast in the sun.

We have to stay another day at this site because there is too much danger of landslides. The soil is so wet and unstable, that it must re-settle first. Not so bad, now is the time to wash ourselves and to relax outside the tent. Around 16.00 hrs, I'm feeling sick. I have to vomit like hell and crawl into my sleeping bag. I cannot believe what is happening this time. Maybe it is the Diamox?  Paul gives me a Domperidon tablet and - believe it or not - at 19.00 hrs I'm eating mashed patatoes with a sausage.

Geen opmerkingen: